How to Buy a Dog Bed for Extra Large Breeds
Just as people come in all shapes and sizes, our furry counterparts are just as varied. Large breed dogs such as Labs and others that tip the scales at 50 lbs. plus need a place to crash that’s comfy, allows them to relax naturally, and can support their heftier weights. The question is, though, what qualities should a dog bed geared for extra-large breeds possess? Searching for the right dog bed in the past might have been an exercise in frustration for most dog parents. Cheaply made beds that don’t last, potentially unsafe materials, and beds that are just plain ugly are a few of the challenges facing loving dog moms and dads.
To weed through the mass-produced junk and find the perfect bed for your canine companion, stick to some easy to remember principles:
1. Quality construction A large breed dog bed that lasts will be constructed with the best materials and methods of assembly. Avoid beds that have the hallmarks of poor quality – less than perfect stitching, sharp edges, and uneven fill for the bed itself.
2. Stain, spill, and odor resistant fabric. Let’s be real: dogs are lovable, and also messy. Whether it’s drool, water, goobers, or any other delightful type of moisture, you want your dog bed to be made with fabric that’s up to the challenge. Just as humans need to wash their bedding, the same is true for our four legged friends, perhaps more so. Choose a bed with fabric that is soft, durable, stain-proof and machine washable.
3. Allergy-free and eco-friendly fill. So many dogs and people suffer from chemical allergies these days, having a dog bed made with allergen-free fill and materials is a must. Avoid dog beds that do not plainly show what their fill is made from, have any kind of chemical odor, or aren’t advertised as being eco-friendly.
4. Support for weight and joints. Large dog breeds can suffer from joint discomfort and arthritis, especially with advancing age. A bed that can offer comfortable support can sustain your dog’s mobility longer, offer better sleep, and keep them healthier.
5. Attractive design. Okay, this may seem more important to humans than dogs, but really, if your dog bed is an eye-sore that you just want to squirrel away any time company comes over, it’s time to rethink this feature. Look for a dog bed in rich, decorative patterns and colors that will blend seamlessly with your décor.
6. Tested and Dog-Approved. Each bed adheres to strict quality standards, solid construction, and is dog-evaluated on its appeal, safety, and function.
7. Worth the price. Luxury dog beds that are made from the best materials and are well constructed will always cost more than their inferior competition. Investing more in a dog bed that lasts years is worth the extra money for your dog’s health, comfort, and your own peace of mind.
Take a little time, do your research, and we are sure you’ll find the perfect bed for your fur babies to curl up in and feel warm, safe, and secure!
Ready to invest in a quality dog bed for your larger breed that will last for years to come? Check out our new line of modern and durable line of dog beds in extra large sizes here !